PROJECT 3: Neuroplanuz System: System for Surgical Planning and Neuro-Monitoring by Ultrasound Images
Develop a neuro-images based system that raise quality standards in brain tumors surgery.
NeuroplanUZ is a system capable of using different forms of clinical neuroimaging (MRI, fMRI, DTI, CT, US) for precise planning and intraoperative monitoring surgeries of patients suffering from diverse types of brain tumors (gliomas, glioblastomas, meningiomas, astrocytomas, etc).
The system options allow neurosurgeons to handle the main issues throughout the surgical procedure, including:
• Estimation of the incision site and coordinates.
• Estimation of the incision dimensions, ensuring an optimum working window size.
• Determination of impact on major neighboring arteries and veins.
• It is possible to use a trans-sulci approach in deep lesions.
• Determination of impact on neighboring functional eloquent areas and major association tracts, including estimations of safety margins for resecting tumor tissue without causing severe deficits.
Additionally, this system is compatible with general-purpose ultrasound devices, allowing trans-surgical monitoring of the surgical procedure at multiple time points. Among others, the system provides information regarding the resected percentage of the lesion, remaining tumor tissue and trans-surgical deformation of brain anatomy (“brain shifting”), derived from the loss of cerebrospinal fluid and surgical manipulations.
Research and development of the prototype.
Figure 3 Ultrasound monitoring surgery.
REQUESTED KIND OF COLLABORATION:
• Commercial distribution channels.
• Sales management for NeuroplanUZ system.
• Joint development of NeuroplanUZ new system features considering the economic risks.
COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGES AND MILESTONES:
• Device with a set of competitive performance at a comparatively lower price.
• Automatic Image Fusion.
• The software supports the use of multiple common imaging modalities: CT images and MR images.
• Basic trajectory planning to obtain arc settings with advanced planning capabilities.
• Complete functional pre-planning.
• Anatomical views can be aligned to the patient’s AC/PC line.
• After automatic detection of the mid-sagittal plane, the landmarks AC and PC are set manually using an interactive crosshair tool.
• Compatible with Fibertracking software for visualization of fibers in all planning steps.
• Dedicated surgical planning software on a dedicated workstation outside the O.R.
• All planning content is transferred to the neuronavigation system.
• Automated functions decreasing interaction.
• Ultrasound Integration utilizes existing ultrasound systems.
• Visualize in 2D and with sophisticated, fast 3D volume renderings.
• Exploration and planning prior to entering the operating theater.
• Enables fast white matter tractography.
Figure 4 Prototype software
Pedro Dr. Valdés-Sosa, PhD
International Joint Research Center Neural Information,
University of Electronic Science and Technology of
Introducing Talents Neural Information Base (State
Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs - Ministry of
MSc. Yusniel Santos Rodríguez.
Cognitive Neuroscience Department
Yongsheng HE, MD Professor
Department of Neurosurgery
Institute of Neurological Diseases
Affiliated Hospital, UESTC
Sichuan Academy of Medical Sciences and Sichuan Provincial People's Hospital
32, 2nd west avenue, rIng road, Chengdu 610072, China